Friday 28 September 2012

My Mini Art Journal

I decided to pick up a small journal for art journalling when I was in Mount Vernon, WA last month with my good friend Deborah Moskowitz

.
The journal is the perfect size for small musings and petit works of art.

In the front inside cover, I folded up a sweet note from a close friend and pasted it down. I can read it whenever I need a boost or if I'm feeling unloved (which is rare...)

I also stamped my initials - sg.

My friend Helen Campbell is a genius when it comes to working on small pieces. She is selling mostly ephemera in her etsy shop right now - you should check it out!

Anyhow, she has inspired me to work smaller.

I am also finding that it is a GREAT book for trying out different fonts, pens, and writing styles. It's nice to be able to just write one or two words instead of having to commit to a large journal page.

I played around with the word attachment during a professional development lecture this week. The letters are "attached" with black links. 
My little journal is a great place to glue in things that I find and little pieces of inspiration.

After watercolouring this page, I pasted in a heart doily that I saved from high tea close to Valentine's Day this year.

This spread features origami paper on one side and a bird on yellow watercolour on the other. I can use the wavy lines for writing down my musings when I feel inclined.
Here is a watercolour that I created on a hot beach day.
A full spread like this seems so much more accessible when it's so small!

I hope this inspires you to think differently about your art journalling.

Have you ever used a small journal like this one? If not, I would highly recommend it! 

Give it a try! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Make sure to leave your email address so that I can write back to you :)