Monday 30 January 2012

Destiny

This weekend I've been thinking a lot about Destiny.

For those of you who don't know, I teach French and beginner art to secondary students.

But.

Am I destined to be a school teacher?

I do love my students so much. The reason I became a teacher in the first place was to inspire youth and help them learn values and attitudes that would guide them into their adult years.

I do feel that I accomplish that to a fairly considerable degree, but I find that my own growth and progression has been stalling lately.

I can't help thinking:


Is this it? Is this to be my existence, my routine for the next 25 years?


I decided to turn to my art journal to try and express myself creatively. I still haven't found an answer; I suppose it will come to me over time.

In the meantime, here is my creative result. I think the right-hand fish's outfit makes me feel the ultra satisfied with this page. That, and the pink crown on the left-hand fish.

"Bigger Fish"
Materials: Acrylic background, ink markers, paint markers, chalk pastels, magazine collage.

3 comments:

  1. OMG Shannon, I can REALLY relate to this question....and I love your visual of your conundrum (don't ya just love that word??). I've been thinking about my destiny A LOT this past year..not sure if I'm any closer to figuring it out, but at least I'm having fun along the way! This might be a good project to think about for SAS.....later! Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great journal page, Shannon. I was a high school teacher for several years, and I remember (even though I LOVED so many things about it) that I seemed to spend half my time thinking about getting OUT of it. Maybe because it is so incredibly physically and emotionally taxing! Good luck to you as you explore this idea of your DESTINY...never hurts to keep the possibilities open! (I blogged about the postcards I made for your swap! If you want to check it out, you can find it at: http://andria-drawingnear.blogspot.com/2012/01/and-theyre-off.html)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loove the way you wrote the words! So pretty :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Make sure to leave your email address so that I can write back to you :)